Last night I had the opportunity to witness one of the best moments to date in ultra running as Zach Bitter and Pam Proffitt Smith crush the USA 100-Mile record and the World Record for distance in a 12-hour race. Once again another incredible moment in ultra running happened right here in our own backyard thanks to Aravaipa Running. Getting the opportunity to hand the American flag to Zach as he celebrated his incredible accomplishment is not a moment I will forget. I can’t think of any better way to celebrate a victory than to be wrapped in Old Glory. While I’ve never served I’ve always had a passion for our country and through ultra running I’ve had the opportunity to join Team Red, White, and Blue and fly the eagle on my chest. If you haven’t checked out this incredible organization I suggest you head to their site now and read up on what they’re doing for our vets. With over 27,500 members to date this is an organization that I encourage you to sign up for an be a part of. They found a passion and after just a few years are making a tremendous difference in so many people’s lives.
With so many awards and different categories we thought it would be fun to incorporate one award that will not be up for public vote but will be voted on by our panel. This award will go to the Arizona runner who had the best performance on Arizona soil. We have several people who are up for this award and after the votes are finalized this will also be announced with the poll winners next Monday 22nd. The winner of the best performance on Arizona soil will receive a pair of shoes donated from the iRun store in Phoenix.
Below you will find several polls in which to vote for and I encourage you to read up on the candidates here and then vote for all the categories listed below. Please do not place your vote in the comments if you would like it to count. You don’t need to be from Arizona to vote so share this site with family and friends so we can keep growing this contest. The popular vote will count for 75% of the vote for each category and a nine member panel from all over Arizona will count for the remaining 25%. Each panel member’s vote counts at 2.77%. Voting will run from 5pm Sunday December 15th through Saturday December 21st at midnight. There are a lot of candidates for each award so read their bios. In order to reduce any controversy we included everyone that was nominated in the poll. The rules for the contest are pretty simple but I would encourage you to consider the following before placing your vote.
A) The Ultra Runner of the Year should be voted on based on their whole body of work for 2013. It is important to take into consideration what races they ran, who the competition was, and how they fared in these races.
B) The Performance of the Year should be based on a single event. What obstacles they faced in the race, distance covered, competition, and how the performance stacks up to the rest of the field.
C) The Rookie of the Year contest is about a new ultra runner who has done some incredible things in the world of ultra running during 2013. Again it is important to consider the runners whole body of work. This should include finish times, place, competition, and the event.
Runners will have their choice of either Mogollon Monster 100, Stagecoach Line 100, or Crown King 50K. There are just two entries to each race. Each winner will also receive a copy of the book Got to Live, an 8oz bottle of Stinky Foot, and the top two vote getter will also receive entry to the Mountain to Fountain 15K. I encourage everyone that votes to check out the races and products our sponsors are offering up as prizes. For those of you that are new to running or would love to learn more about running I encourage you to check out the Hopi Tribe’s Running Forum and Lunar 5K trail run coming the first weekend in January. Please help support those that help support our passion for running. If you haven’t “liked” the McDowell Mountain Man on the Facebook page please take a second to do so on the right side of the page. We can’t put together great giveaways and contests without the support of the community so please give back. We have the following amazing races and sponsors for 2013.
Prizes are awarded in the following order.
1. Men’s and Women’s Open UROY
2. Men’s and Women’s Master’s UROY
3. Performance of the Year
4. Rookie of the Year